Soybean seed treatments provide a means to capture greater yield by protecting the genetic yield potential of every seed, bag and acre. Seed treatments enable each field to maximize productivity as well as minimize risk. There are no rescue treatments for soil insects or pathogens. Growers can only protect each field from them through a preventative approach. Here are a few reasons why seed treatment are profitable.
Wider Planting Window
- Planting in cool, wet soils may result in slower emergence
- Increased seed and seedling disease pressure
- Seed treatments allow for earlier planting dates and significantly reduced likelihood of replant
Tolerance to High Residue Environments
- Increased crop residues can harbor insects and pathogens
- Residue is associated with cool soil temperatures which delay emergence
Improved Soybean Plant Performance
- Increased stand
- Improved seedling vigor and emergence
- 2.5 bushel average yield advantage for Right Stand over no treatment
- 2-10 bushel yield advantage for Right Stand® + ILeVO® over base package depending on severity of SDS and SCN pressure
However, not all seed treatments are created equal. The true value of a specific seed treatment can be obtained with three questions.
- What individual products make up the seed treatment package?
- What rate(s) are being applied? This is critically important!
- How accurately are the individual products being applied?
The Right Stand® soybean seed treatment from Hoegemeyer is a proprietary mix of chemistries including an insecticide, a biological root growth stimulant, and multiple mode of action fungicides applied at full labeled rates providing broad spectrum pest protection.
A common misconception is that seed treatments are only needed for early planting dates. Although early planting dates are at increased risk from several pests, a common disease such as phytophthora which is the #1 most yield limiting soybean disease in the U.S., is also very active under warm and wet soil conditions. Areas in fields with poor drainage and compaction are especially prone to phytophthora infection. Soybean plants that are partially susceptible may appear stunted and yield less than a resistant or non-infected plant.
New for 2018, Right Stand includes Dupont™ Lumisena™ for industry leading control of phytophthora as well as improved seedling vigor and emergence. DuPont™ Lumisena™ contains a new active ingredient - Oxathiapiprolin. This new mode of action fungicide works to control oomycete infestation during multiple stages of the pathogen’s life cycle, resulting in increased stands, healthier plants, and overall greater crop efficiency.
Contact your local Hoegemeyer DSM or Agronomist to put Right Stand with Dupont Lumisena to work on your farm in 2018.
ILeVO® is a registered trademark of Bayer. EverGol® is a registered trademark of Bayer.